”Things to do that don’t hurt you but are fun” – teen from Calais
"Taking risks” is a natural high.
Try taking one healthy risk each day.
Do something scary, hilarious, or wild to keep yourself young and alive, exploring your potential in new ways.
being with family and friends
making pictures in the clouds
driving down a road you don’t know where it’s going
singing loud and not caring how you sound
smiling and seeing others do the same
fake birthday parties
hip hop making
listening to music
eating edible wilds
falling in love
laughing so hard your face hurts
a hot shower
no lines at the supermarket
a special glance
hearing your favorite song on the radio
lying in bed listening to the rain
hot towels fresh out of the dryer
a bubble bath
a good conversation
finding a $20 bill in your coat from last winter
laughing at yourself
midnight phone calls
running through sprinklers
laughing for no reason at all
someone telling you you're beautiful
waking up and realizing you still have a few hours left to sleep
your first kiss
making new friends
playing with a new puppy
having someone play with your hair
swinging on swings
making eye contact with a cute stranger
running into an old friend
knowing that somebody misses you
hugs knowing you've done the right thing, no matter what other people think
eating good food
playing in leaves
seeing a rainbow
singing silly songs
FIVE POINTS TO REMEMBER
- Everyone is born essentially good. We can support healthy habits. If we develop unhealthy habits, we all have the capacity to change.
- Everyone wants and deserves love. Being yourself is a natural high. People sometimes make unhealthy choices to get attention or feel good.
- Each of us is unique and has something special to offer the world. Everyone has powerful feelings. Creatively expressed feelings heal. Repressed feelings fester and cause disease.
- We live in an addictive culture and are taught to "use" things to avoid our feelings. Drugs, shopping, food, relationships can all be "used" to avoid dealing with and creatively expressing who we are and what we need.
- We are all connected and influence everyone around us. When one person hruts himself or herself, it affects us all, so it is in our best interest to take good care of ourselves and each other.